Explore this blog

25 Jun 2014

My App in the App Store

I set a goal for myself; To see if I could get an app to the iTunes Appstore by the end of 2013.

Well it happened! I will reveal all in this post. I paid next to nothing (although a lot in time), without in depth coding and all by myself. How? Well I will share with you my secrets!

Why?
Well why not!? I've always had a hankering to see if I could get an app to the app store, a bit of a personal challenge and a boasting point I suppose! "Why Yes, I do have an app in the app store and its not half bad :)."

What? 
Since I had no skills coding and programming the amount of functions needed to be cut down. I quickly realized having a simple content based app was the way to go.  With all my reading, many said to keep it simple as the user wasn't interested in trudging through all your 'cool' ideas and pages.

Having a look at my immediate whereabouts (Napier, New Zealand) I decided a info app on Art Deco and top things to do in Sunny Napier is a good start. I started 20 Buildings to write about/images. I soon cut this down to top 5 as it takes a LONG time to generate your own quality content. I added top 5 things to do in Napier and voila! I had a Top10 App.

How?
Elance? ODesk? TeaminIndia? Developer contacts? NO WAY (although I'd like to explore these options). I went down the DIY road. DYOR People!!! After a few stop starts, I settled on AppArchitect. It was basic as it was still in its beta phase. So I adapted my app to fit into what was available at the time on the web based platform builder. The first go at getting into the app store (Version 1) saw my half hearted effort get there... Yeah nah, didn't go well (a little embarrassed of it actually!) Also it was uploaded under the developer Applique - That's what AppArchitect was originally named. It had to be by default Free also.




After thinking - should I just leave it or spruce it up? After seeing they were going to release the actual binary code (the files that you upload into iTunes connect so you could have it under your name in iTunes), I got my mojo back for it and Version 2 went much better. I thought of it in the new IOS 7 design and adapted what I'd done so far into a Xero inspired 'beautiful' user interface. The content was done so all I had to do was design around it, the fun job! So I toddled away at that for a while then saw they were releasing the binary code. Jumped on that bandwagon (several emails and tweets later as they were a bit slow responding) got my binary code.

I must say, it was a bit of a rigmarole trying to get iTunes connect to accept the binary code file - although AppArchitect supplied a lot of the info that you needed to change things in order to get to the App store. Actually, considering they were in Beta mode they were moderately helpful!
_________________________________________________________________________________

End Result: TA DA!

Napier Top10 Traveller edition is here!

Use the app & throw the map
Quality tips for the traveler & not boring info.
Features? Instant location of iconic sites, easy simple info, affordable and mobile, local tips, share where you are with friends.
For travelers of all types, cruise ship peeps, backpackers, do-ers, day trippers or 3 day visitors, even locals
Napier, NZ: This is the closest you will get to living in The Great Gatsby time. Experience Napier
View in iTunes here!
 buildingscreenshottodoscreenshotmapscreenshot
Homescreentraveller

The most condensed brochure you will find in Napier city
Designed by KiwiDee

_________________________________________________________________
It was definitely a journey.
Onto the next project!

Dee xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...